Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Almost Persuaded


1  

“Almost persuaded” now to believe;  

“Almost persuaded” Christ to receive;  

Seems now some soul to say,  

“Go, Spirit, go Thy way,  

Some more convenient day  

On Thee I’ll call.”  

2  

“Almost persuaded,” come, come today;  

“Almost persuaded,” turn not away;  

Jesus invites you here,  

Angels are ling’ring near,  

Prayers rise from hearts so dear;  

O wand’rer, come!  

3  

  “Almost persuaded,” harvest is past!  

“Almost persuaded,” doom comes at last;  

“Almost” cannot avail;  

“Almost” is but to fail!  

Sad, sad that bitter wail—  

“Almost—but lost!”  


Author: Philip Paul Bliss (1838-1876) 

This song was usually used as the "invitation" after the sermon -- an opportunity for anyone in the assembly to come forward to make a confession of sin and/or be baptized. In some other denominations this is sometimes known as an "altar call". This first video does not include the last verse, which is pertinent to the invitation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9oVppVnS6g&list=RDg9oVppVnS6g&start_radio=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgKNNdRru0&list=RDQNgKNNdRru0&start_radio=1

Acts 26:24 And as he thus spake for himself, Festus said with a loud voice, Paul, thou art beside thyself; much learning doth make thee mad. 25 But he said, I am not mad, most noble Festus; but speak forth the words of truth and soberness. 26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner. 27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. 28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.    

No comments:

Post a Comment